My Mum and Dad

My Mum and Dad
Charladies Ball abt 1956/57

Monday 19 July 2010

Why Get a Death Certificate

Some people wonder why should they get a death certificate for a ancestor especially if they got the quarter & year they died, well here is what I have found by getting them.
First my grandparent on the 1911 census it showed that they had 3 children 2 had died & one was still alive (my mum born in May of that year) so I did a search & found twins & had got the birth certificates & a search also gave me their deaths, which sadly both died after a few hours, the informant was a Alice Dartnell, who it turns out to be my grandmother's sister Alice so now I know her married name & could find her marriage the sad part on all of this was that that within a month or so of my Grandmother's 2 boys dying Alice gave birth & her son also died.
On another certificate which is for Doris Gertrude Barnes nee Gillings she was the 2nd wife of Jessie Frederick Barnes.
She died in 1978 & it gives the informant as son Peter & maiden name as Fisk well first her mother's maiden name was Fiske so why that mistake has happen I did get the GRO to check & it was correct the other thing was Jessie & Doris didn't have any children, but from someone who in contact with the Doris's side of the family has said  that she adopted 3 children, sadly i don't know much more than that as but the death certificate shows that a son was the informant.
I have on other death certificates found out about family members, I do find that this happens more when the spouse of the person has already passed as normally the spouse is the one who registers the death.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The photo of your mum and dad at the Char ladies ball was taken at the venue at Briallies Holloway Road London, it was about 1956/57 when they lived in Derwent House Howard Road London N16 they took two friends with them who use to drink in the Coach and Horse in Mathiase Road London N16.
Not in 1951 as they still lived in Ormbsy Court in 1951.